Sunday 12 August 2012

Seaglass

My aunt Denise introduced me to seaglass when I was a little kid.  I remember combing the beach with her in the hopes of finding a few precious gems to proudly stuff into my pockets and bring home.  I have many memories of us wandering and digging around in the hopes of finding a few pieces to be proud of. 

I had no idea upon moving to England that I would only be just over an hour away from Seaglass Heaven...also known as Seaham.  I only found it last year in preparation for Denise's visit here.  I was searching online to see if there were any beaches known for their seaglass, and I got some results popping up of this quiet, unassuming beach in Seaham.  We found our way there for the first time with Denise and were completely awestruck by all the little gems hiding amongst the stones and pebbles.  They looked like jelly beans, some of them.  So beautiful, so perfectly tussled from the powerful waves of the North Sea.  The excitement of the hunt, contrasted with the beauty and serenity of the crashing waves, is a perfect combination for a day at the beach.




I've only been back to Seaham a few times since we first found it, but will definitely need to make more trips to stock up on seaglass before we move back to MD.  We went yesterday just for a few hours.  We were hoping for decent weather, seeing as it was in the mid-60's here.  But, alas, even though it was in the lower 60's in Seaham, the wind was whipping around so hard you would've thought there was a storm a brewin'.  But that was just Seaham on a nice day!

Zach and I made our way down to the beach with some blankets and a snack.  We were so glad we remembered to make a thermos of nice, hot tea because we definitely needed the warmth!  We enjoyed our tea with a container bursting with British berries - strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and my favorite - humungous raspberries.  Oh, and of course some biscuits that we had picked up from our trip to Normandy.






After snacking, I decided to make my way around with my seaglass bag while Zach hunkered down under the blanket to read his book. 

 That's Zach under that orange blanket

The wind was relentless and my nose was running like a faucet in a marathon but I didn't care.  There were so many gems to be found! 









In just over an hour I had collected a huge lot and we decided to call it a day.  But it was a good day indeed!




No comments:

Post a Comment